Wednesday, April 2, 2014

No. 709: Trevenant

Why don't you make like a tree and leaf?

No! I'm kidding! Plase stay!

We got Trevenant over here, making a ruckus like he owns the place. rowdy asshole. A possessed evil tree is a stable of the RPG genre, and it finally makes an appearance in Pokemon.

I like the look of how there's a ghostly shadow connecting the pieces of wood, and the singular red eye. But is it just me, or do those bits of leafery look more like shrubs than leaves? I don't know, I just don't care for how they're drawn. Nor the little leaves just hanging on all over the place, either fall off and be bare, or clump together! you're just complicating the silhouette.

Yeah, Phantump had little single leafie bits, but I'd expect that to grow up to leaf clumps at the very least. or drop off altogether? it just bugs me.


Overall: 6/10

2 comments:

  1. Really surprised you didn't rate this one higher. I think it's one of the best Pokemon from this generation.

    I'd say the single leaves are because it's supposed to resemble a tree that's dying given the ghost type. I think it's a nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment, not bad (or below, not entirely certain where this will land, but I'm talking about the only other comment here). But honestly, the single eye reminds me too much of Dusknoir, and I didn't like the design there (mainly for being completely out of nowhere and not matching the rest of his lower evolutions). I love Ghosties, but if they had made the leaves sharper, or a different color, like a brownish green, I would have liked this pokemon so much more.

    ReplyDelete