Saturday, August 15, 2015

Team Rocket of Kanto (and Johto)

As has been requested, I'm gonna do some more design reviews of the Evil Teams. I'd say the main content of this blog is pretty much over until Gen 7 happens, so I don't blame anybody who just tunes out. If you do, please remember NAPACE when that day comes! I guarantee I'll still have steaming hot opinions about the Pokemon in it. But for now, let's talk Grunts.



The Rocket Grunts designs are just goddamn perfect. Seriously, they're friggin' works of art. Logo is simple and recognizable, and they look both practical and somewhat threatening. Also, as Jessie and James proved, swapping the colors around for black-gloves-on-white-uniform is just as neat. I have seriously nothing bad to say about these classy peeps.

Grunts: 10/10


Team Rocket seems to have two tiers of executives - those that just wear fancier versions of the usual grunt uniforms, and those who get the inverted white models. Proton and Petrel are of the former, and they're pretty cool I guess. Not sure why Proton has gloves that go up past his elbows, though. One criticism I would give is that the orange and yellow lines, while not offensive, seem to kind of go against Rocket's monochromatic stylings - everybody else only uses black, white, and that trademark Rocket Red. Still, rather sharp outfits. Petrel gets the edge because of his cool hair and "as if I give a crap" swagger.

Proton: 7/10
Petrel: 8/10


With the top-level executives, we're back to the basic colors, but inverted - to show that they run this shit. there's a fan theory that Ariana is the mother of Mars (of Team Plasma) and the Rival (of gold/silver), and while there's nothing going for it aside from hairstyles, I'm willing to entertain it. Having an absent mom who is a crime boss explains why your Rival is such a little pissant.

Anyway, these two look great. They sport their R's on little breast-patches, as does the Big Boss himself, and share his look of a suit-coat with no lapels or tie. It's an odd, minimalist choice that I really like. The only thing "wrong" here, is that Ariana has a diamond on her pelvis for no reason.

Ariana: 9/10
Archer: 10/10


As for Giovanni, we all know he's a badass. I docked him points as a Gym Leader for not reppin' his Element, but as the boss of Team Rocket he's amazing. Refer to my older review here, but also remember I was looking at him through a different lens then.

Giovanni: 10/10


Anyway, the team as a whole feels very cohesive, and is probably the best Evil Team in the entire series. They come back for a rematch in the second generation, and it's just great fun beating them down a second time. I appreciate how their motivation was just "make money", because that's what a mafia-style criminal organization does. If you commit crimes in the name of your ideals, you're probably a terrorist or a politician.

Team Rocket Overall: 10/10

8 comments:

  1. You forgot Jessie and james which are also important in yellow. I know, one single game but still. I wish there was some Design art for the original Admins, but those are comparable to the ones seen here. Well either way I am glad you followed those suggestions ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I put my foot in my mouth as you DID mention them. Sorry! Still awesome review

      Delete
    2. Gah and I totally forgot to mention that Protons german name is Lance!
      Would have made stuff confusing in the games if Lance wasnt renamed Siegfried.

      Delete
    3. So if Proton is Lance, and Lance is Siegfried, what happens if they make a character named Siegfried? Will Germany just be obliged to re-name him Proton?

      Delete
    4. Well it depends on the theme, I suppose.
      Proton was named lance in the german HG/SS versions becaus it was his original name, which was based on Missile types (fitting considering its Team ROCKET)
      And siegfired was the germanic dragonkiller so having a dragon master with that name makes sense.

      Delete
  2. The artwork for Ariana and Archer both look pretty bad, particularly in their faces. The linework and coloring seem different. I wonder if somebody other than Ken Sugimori drew them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I know I got a reputation as the one who comes to old reviews and says "Akchually", but... Mars is Team Galactic, not Plasma.

    ReplyDelete