Sunday, September 21, 2014

Maylene of Veilstone City

Seichusen, Godan-tsuki!!


Maylene reminds me of Street Fighter's Makoto in a lot of ways. Athletic build, kind of short, and the hair is kinda-sorta-not-really-but-close similar. Though unlike Makoto, who is the very picture of stoic confidence, Maylene almost bubbles over with confusion. She doesn't seem to even understand how she got the job as Gym Leader, which makes me question the Pokemon League's hiring standards.

At any rate, her design makes it clear she's a Fighter. training gloves, baggy pants over some sort of underarmor, and those classic bandages. Or maybe they're cold compresses. Should ask Chief Arino about that.

Thing is, if I didn't know better, I'd think she was a Battle Girl NPC trainer, not a Gym Leader. I guess that's her conceit, that she's just a regular karate-crazy girl who somehow got the position? Eh. I would respond more positively if she hadn't looked so new-school. Tape your hands, don't use sissy gloves! PAIN IS AN ILLUSION


What the hell is this thing. It's not a fist, I can tell that much. It's called the Cobble Badge, so maybe it's cobble stones? or like a brick? because you break bricks in karate? I feel like the harder I try to make it look like something, the less it looks like anything.


Overall: 4/10

1 comment:

  1. I've always tought it was a fighting mat, but it's definitely one of more rorschachy badges.

    ReplyDelete