Saturday, February 27, 2016

Pokemon 20th Anniversary

Though it's only been 18 here in America, Pokemon turned 20 this year. I'm getting all sorts of nostalgia-shocks, remembering how much this franchise used to rule my life.

Watching the show for the first time at my best friend's house, recording every episode on VHS tapes so that I could watch them again, trying to time it to avoid recording the ads as well, getting a pack of cards after being a good boy at the dentist's, opening a pack and finding a holographic Blastoise and being the envy of the playground for a week, how nobody else but me seemed to know how to actually play the game, the crinkle of the wrapping and smell of new cards, even collecting the cardboard ones from the backs of Lunchables and almost paying 50 cents for a Haunter that I wanted, listening to the 2 B.A. Master album and singing along in the car, arguing with kids who liked Digimon better, going to see the 2000 movie in theaters and getting an Ancient Mew card, those little glass dollops that used to come in the box sets for damage counters, playing Stadium and making a team of Mewtwo, Charizard, Mewtwo, Machamp, Zapdos, and Diglett, having a Pokemon-themed birthday party with all sorts of arts-n-crafts, bonking Pokemon on the head with apples in Pokemon Snap, how the Pokemon sprites in Super Smash Bros always faced the camera no matter how you turned it, screaming at the mic in a vain attempt to get Hey You! Pikachu to work, naming my cat after a Pokemon, and of course - playing those wonderful, ugly, magical, broken, mesmerizing games.


They also announced a new pair of games - Sun and Moon. These will launch later this year, so I guess that means NAPACE will finally have new fodder! I can't guarantee I'll have much to post about until they start leaking the new 'mons, and even when they do I think I want to wait until I get my hands on them in-game to review them. But that's something to look forward to, right?

1 comment:

  1. That awkward moment when you hear of the new upcoming generation and you're more hyped for NAPACE than anything else.

    ReplyDelete