Saturday, July 27, 2013

Giovanni of Viridian City

has is really been two entire weeks? well shit.

but I'm back, and what a gym leader to come back to. Giovanni ruled the roost in Kanto, and almost had Johto as well. He simultaneously works as the mob boss leader of Team Rocket, and the gym leader of the prominent Viridian City. Just look at him, smirking like a boss. He knows he's Bad News, he's just waiting for you to find out.

Design didn't change much at all here. Still wearing a menacing dark suit, high-collared shirt, and a big R on his breast pocket. This one looks even more evil, though, I feel. I like the stance, too.

Now, Giovanni was replaced by your least favorite neighbor by the time Gold and Silver roll around, but in the remakes, he appears again through some event or something I kinda forget. But he's there, you can fight him, and he's looking like a full-on mafia don this time. He claims to have retired, but looking at that double-breasted overcoat, fedora, and red handkerchief, I'd say he just moved on to full-time illegal activities.


I do have to call the Earth Badge out a bit, though, because it looks like freaking Grass. Why didn't Erika give this one away instead of the Rainbow Pride badge? and why does Giovanni feel the need to specialize in Ground, anyway? shouldn't he be Dark-type, through-and-through? I guess it didn't exist in his games, and Poison was already taken, so...

Really, the only thing I can dock him on is how his design, gym, badge, and type don't sync at all. While is a pity, because his design and character is wonderful, and works really well in the story. Were you surprised when he turned out to be that mystery gym leader of that one town with the boarded-up gym? I wasn't, because I peeked ahead in the strategy guide. But anyway, Giovanni is menacing and fits his role in the story quite well. His role as a gym leader, maybe not so much. Which again, it a pity. But I've apparently decided (and I think with good reason) that representing your elemental theme is a requirement for being a top-class gym leader.


Overall: 7/10

7 comments:

  1. Thanks to misreading your bit about neighbors, I can't get the image out of my head that the last Giovanni sprite looks like an old man out for a brisk evening stroll in the neighborhood...

    ReplyDelete
  2. His name in Japanese is Sakaki, a tree that very much resembles the Earth badge. You could also make the argument that trees make the ground sturdier. You also did'nt call Lt. Surge's badge out for looking like a flower, even though flowers have much less to do with electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this sounds stupid, but I always thought Giovanni having the ground type was appropriate because he seems...sturdy, I don't know? xD
    there is something about his build (dignified position, wide shoulders) that just says power to me, he instantly conveys the idea that he is someone you don't fuck with, another reason why I always liked his original type, he seems like the kind of underhanded criminal who would level a whole city with an earthquake move done by his ground type pokemon because they didn't pay protection money or something like that.
    It just seems like the kind of of destructive type that someone like him would have, even if he hasn't gotten the design for it, at least his "attitude and character" are like someone, who uses ground powers

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no trivia here.
    He doesnt have a title and honestly, he doesnt need any.
    I love this guy, as he is my favourite gymleader and favourite Team leader

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun fact: his name should be pronounced "Jo-vanni", not "Jee-o-vanni".
    Source: I'm Italian

    ReplyDelete