Wednesday, July 19, 2017

No. 793: Nihilego

Name reminds me of Ni'ihau

Yeah, I'm doing the Ultra Beasts. They're basically Pokemon, right? Just ones from another dimension? As such, I'm gonna make an exception to my normal grading criteria (which is a nebulous mental affair that's more exception than rule already) and think about them as crazy demon-spirit thingies. They weren't even trying to make them look like a proper Pokemon, so it's almost unfair to attempt to qualify them as such. These bastards are beyond even Legendaries, they have no place in the natural world at all.

And also because if I were to grade them on the normal scale, they'd all be 1's. And a month of that is just not fun.

In any case, we've got Nihilego up first, who looks a helluva lot like Lilie. I remember the theories that Lilie was secretly a Pokemon, but it turned out that she was actually raised to dress herself in imitation of Nihilego by her crazy mom oops, mind my spoilers.

It's got a weird ghostly quality to it, like a hollow girl - hat and hair, but no body. Creepy. Which makes it even stranger that it's Rock/Poison. Clearly this thing is jelly-like, or ectoplasmy. People have told me it's supposed to be glass, but the thing about that is, glass isn't rock. No other Pokemon interprets Rock-type that way. It feels arbitrary, like they just wanted to get a typing nobody had seen before. And I can't chalk this one up to being Ultra Beast-y, because the rest of them have pretty logical types.


Ultra Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. Nihilego should have been Ice Poison imho. That would be really cool. Just say it's made of ice instead of fucking glass.

    ReplyDelete