Wednesday, July 26, 2017

No. 798: Kartana

John Romero's about to make you his bitch.


Every evil team needs that one little guy. The Monstars had Nawt, the Ginyu Force had Guldo, and the Boston Celtics have Isaiah Thomas. Kartana is that guy for the Ultra Beasts.

I think it's a hilarious contrast to how stupidly huge most of his compatriots are, but being so small and cutting through anything is actually pretty terrifying if you think about it. Imagine this guy just flying around, almost undetectable, slicing cleanly through walls and necks and trees and stuff. He reminds me of the origami dudes from Spirited Away, so I'm also picturing like a swarm of them.

It's slightly odd that he's Grass/Steel - I know paper comes from trees, but it's so far removed from the concept of vegetation at that point, especially if it's just like a sharpened steel blade. I guess it's just so he can get STAB Razor Leaf and Leaf Blade, which I admit is kinda neat. And I suppose the combo makes him super vulnerable to Fire, just like actual paper, so in the end it checks out!


Ultra Grade: B+

3 comments:

  1. Ultra beasts are too weird to comment on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean. Rest assured, if they were trying to pass these off as regular Pokemon, we'd be having an entirely different conversation.

      Delete
  2. You mentioning how terrifying it'd be reminded me of a certain scene...

    "~Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong~"

    ReplyDelete