Wednesday, November 4, 2020

No. 862: Obstagoon

Back into the regular numbers
I want to like Obstagoon. I really do. I thought this was a much-needed spice for the Zigzagoon line, and giving a boring generic 2-stage regional rodent a boss 3rd form is a good idea!

Sadly, Obstagoon looks like a dude in a fursuit. The fur on his limbs is SO differentiated from his black body fur, it looks artificial. And something about the proportions is off, at least the legs. This mockup I saw fixes a lot of my issues:


But even that aside, there's something weird about Obstagoon doing his best Gene Simmons impression, while simultaneously trying to convey that he doesn't feel disposed to receive Communion so he'd just like a blessing instead. The mixed signals aren't working for me. I know he was created entirely to give Piers a signature Pokemon, but it could've gone a lot better.


Overall: 4/10

6 comments:

  1. Cough cough he's 862. Anyway I feel mostly the same as you here. I'm all for a third Zigzagoon evolution, but not a dude in a suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why the tongue is an issue only on Obstagoon when Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone have their tongues out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact It’s an evolution when no other basic Route 1 Normal-types have gotten such thing Is probably the weirdest part for me. I always found the design awkward, evolution-wise It doesn’t fit at all Imo? It’s like Torracat to Incineroar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obligatory comment saying that I'm worried you quit.

    ReplyDelete