Saturday, April 1, 2023

2-2: Blooper

Splatoon, eat your heart out
One of my lowkey favorite Mario enemies, Blooper rocks. That blank expression hides the cold and calculating mind of a murderer. You know cephalopods are smarter than we think, right? Blooper is always watching, always waiting, for a chance to wrap its tentacles around Mario and drag him down into the briny depths forever.

It's been playable only 3 times (Party 8, Sluggers, and Tennis Aces), but shows up all the time in games. Sunshine probably gave it the biggest spotlight, between multiple fights with Gooper Blooper and those frustrating-to-dismount Gooper Racers.

And as a classic enemy, it can be tough to deal with - bobbing in unpredictable patterns, yet somehow faster than Mario can swim. Certainly tougher than a Cheep-Cheep.

I really wish it had been used as a partner in a Paper Mario game, or given the driver's seat in a Mario Kart. The Blooper item is mildly distracting at worst, so I don't think anyone would notice it being gone.


Overall: 10/10

6 comments:

  1. I _loved_ the Bloopers in Mario Sunshine. I loved the race and I loved the Big Blooper bossfights.

    The Blooper in Mario Kart is an example of what I like to call regressive mechanics, where the playing field isn't leveled, but the opposite happens. People who are good at the game and/or know the track well won't even be slowed down in the slightest, while people new to or bad at the game are crippled. I hate that. Nobody needs that in a party game.

    Contrast this with something like the blue shell or lightning. I think those are good.

    Also what is this post I thought you were a Yokai Watch blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a partner! Of Luigi's never-seen side adventure in Thousand Year Door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must have your opinion on Terapagos, which I just realized is a portmanteau of terastalize and Galapagos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April Fools was a ploy for another 3 month hiatus all along

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straw Hat SamuraiMay 1, 2023 at 11:10 PM

      the real fool was anyone who ever believed NAPACE would have a consistent schedule :P

      Delete
  5. April Fool's made my man come out of hiatus, respect the consistency

    ReplyDelete