Sunday, June 17, 2012

No. 462: Magnezone

Remember what I said long ago about how there could be a Cosmic Type? Here's another candidate.


However, there is no Cosmic type, and so there is no reason why Magnezone should look like a flying saucer.

See, this is why the Afterthought 18 are almost uniformly awful - it's like someone was told to create an evolution to Magenton, but never actually saw an actual one, just had it described to them. The whole point (as silly as it is) about Magneton is that it is just literally 3 Magnemites in a group. And now those three are somehow fused into one solid entity? Why??

Also, the magnets are all wrong. They're black instead of dark grey, and only the flat ends are colored, instead of the tips looking like they've been dipped into the paint. Then there's only two screws, I guess the other screws fused into that oddly colored helmet, and also somehow a yellow antenna formed. Because that's totally a thing Magnemite had going. And the giant, red eye... it's all a bunch of random shit that doesn't really look bad, but rather it doesn't look like an evolution to Magneton.

If you wanted to make such an evolution (which I don't know why you would), the best thing would be to make it a giant ball of magnetons, all magnetized together in a spinning cluster. It would be funny because it lampshades the whole "yeah Magneton really wasn't very creative was it" thing, and yet follows conventions: Magnemite's line evolves by gathering MORE copies to itself.

So yeah, while I do think the idea of a flying saucer Pokemon is neat, I don't think that should have come out of the Magnemite line.


Overall: 3/10

5 comments:

  1. As a person who has collected the Afterthought 18 7 times, I will try to point out any points that you missed on this group except for weavile. The big red eye in the middle is a nose and the screws are antlers. This pokemon would be a better evolution for stantler than for magneton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like this guy... he has interesting design , defense and powerful firepower, I even replace my luxray with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny because we have slightly different opinions. I always though Magneton and Gen I's tendency of merging Pokémon were kind of disappointing as evolutions, and I consider Magnezone a proper evolution.

    Lets be fair, some components of Magnezone did come out of nowhere, but I've seen much more confusing transformations out of more serious mediums than Pokémon.

    With that said, I'm biased because Magnezone is one of my favorite Electric types after Jolteon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my 3 favorite Pokemon. Where you say "The magnet colors and lack of screws make no sense!" I just see such a cool design that to me makes sense as an evlution of sentient magnets (as Ice God64 already explained).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is a magenton like a pink magneton?

    ReplyDelete