Sunday, November 21, 2021

Gigantamax no. 3: Pikachu

I'm doing all the Gigantamax Pokemon from the base game first, THEN the ones included via DLC, in case it wasn't clear.
They finally heard you! All those Gen-wunners, nostalgic for old Pikachub artwork where he was a fat lil' bean, your wishes have been heard. And for once, I like this joke. It's a fun way to acknowledge the change in design for one of the world's most iconic characters. I even like how his tail becomes an accordion of zig-zags, echoing every 7-year-old tasked with drawing Pikachu from memory, using only crayons and construction paper.

Orienting the clouds around his tail almost works this time, too. That thing is clearly generating intense electric currents, makes sense storm clouds would be gathering around it. A shame that when it moves, the clouds stay the exact same shape and size and tilt in their orbit to match the tail, instead of acting like, you know, clouds.

But yeah, this is honestly one of my favorite Gigantamax forms because it's a fun joke that gets to STAY a fun joke - I can rest easy knowing it's not gonna stick around. I think I would have been more receptive to the jokier Mega Evolutions if I knew they weren't going to be a forever-thing.


Overall: 900/1000

1 comment:

  1. That's a good point, actually. I didn't like how memey this one is, but if you take into account that it won't exist anymore next time around, it's honestly fine for it to be a dumb meme.

    ReplyDelete