Thursday, March 20, 2014

No. 703: Carbink

yeah, it is becoming a thing, isn't it.

Fairy-type being added in so I'm not supposed to hate it completely, I mean.

Because seriously, what the heck is even going on here. It's like a rock with a rabbit coming out of the top? or something? I thought we covered the whole "it has gemstones in it" thing with Gigalith a while back. But this guy doesn't even evolve? what the crap.

Look, I like the idea of the Carbuncle, a creature with gemstones growing from its skin. it's a neat-sounding name, appropriately whimsical, and I was going to name my romhack (remember that?) Pokemon Carbuncle, until I realize that it is also the name of a terrifyingly hideous skin condition. Don't search it up. Trust me, shit is nastycats.

But Carbink here, just takes that general concept, and goes absolutely nowhere with it. Huge waste of potential.


Overall: 2/10

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It does not evolve into Diancie. The pokedex entry of Diancie claims, that it is a Carbink, that ascended to a higher level it being. But there is no way you can evolve Carbink into Diancie in the regular gameplay. Maybe you'll be able to breed a Carbink when you put Diancie in the daycare, similar to this Manaphy - Phione thing.

      Delete
    2. People have hacked in Diancie and you can't breed it. Which is really weird, they could have given Carbink egg moves this way, and it really sucks for Diancie that it can't do the nasty with everyone's favorite pink blob anymore.

      Delete
  2. I got so excited when I saw this thing. I was thinking that this little guy was gonna be something totally badass and OP... and then I found out it doesn't evolve or even have a good moveset and that it really only exists as a Fairy Type wall. So.... it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were going to comment on it using the same concept as Phione. It sure did it better than Phione since you can actually catch the damn thing. But I doubt this affects your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... I really wish this article didn't make me google 'Carbuncle'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mentioning something as "nastycats" just makes everybody curious. I wanted nightmare food, really.

    ReplyDelete