Thursday, December 4, 2014

Chili of the Striation Gym

Oh hell I hate guys like this

You know the type, that anime character who only shouts and fist-pumps all the time and can't shut up about how FIRED UP he is, and basically just acts a fool and gets everyone else in trouble but then thinks he can laugh it off. Black * Star is literally the only time this character has been done right. And possibly Takeshi Sendou of Hajime no Ippo, but I'd argue his character has a bit more nuance to it.

Anyway, Chili has an ass for a head and a head for an ass. He's unrealistically hyped up about being a shitty gym leader in a podunk little town, where he acts as a goddamn waiter. And he makes sure to try and type-trump your starter, like a douche.

Now, chili gives me gas, but I would've give a single fart for Chili. I can't even imagine how he thinks he could look like anything even remotely approaching a "cool person".


Overall: 1/10

4 comments:

  1. I hate Black Star so much, but I sometimes do like this character type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on where the character archetype goes imo. I like the archetype if they actually give it a spin, or have a plot that engrosses you into that character's hot-bloodedness. However, having it be a character's only defining trait (like in this case) usually turns out stupid and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat related, what did you think of Naruto's ending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made the best it could out of a terrible final arc. I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy seeing Naruto and Hinata finally get together, or that it wasn't slightly sweet to see all the old characters being happy again.

      But Sakura and Sasuke really should not have gotten close enough to have a kid. The other kids should have had a little more effort put into them. Skyscrapers appearing out of nowhere is kind of a strange note to end on. And Sasuke getting away scot-free was maddening.

      Perhaps worst of all, this ending could have happened if Naruto had beat Sasuke back right before the timeskip. Literally nothing in Shippuden mattered at all in the end. I would ask for years of my life back, except the total amount of time I've spent complaining about Naruto grossly exceeds the amount of time I've spent reading it, so that one's pretty much on me.

      Delete