Saturday, December 3, 2016

No. 730: Primarina

Remember Prima Guides? Remember how much they sucked?

For once, the secondary typing makes total sense. It's one of the most blatant waifu-mons I've ever seen, so of course it's part Fairy. After all, it's a pretty pretty princess! That hair must be a nightmare to maintain.

It's funny to compare Primarina to Dewgong. they're both based on seals but one of them is flat and boring, and the other has little costume details all over the damn place. (yes I know a dugong isn't a seal but work with me here). Chalk it up to higher graphical fidelity allowing the designers to include more elements, or perhaps shifting design sensibilities. But the result is something that looks nothing like a Pokemon.

I think I've isolated what it is about these recent starters, and some others, that does sit right with me:  they don't look like common monsters. They look like unique characters. And I think that's an important part of a Pokemon (aside from Legendaries obviously) is that they ought to be monsters. Not necessarily animals, but.

And yeah, I know there's only one starter in the game anyway so they're practically unique, but I just can't imagine other people running around with their own Primarinas, or Decidueyes, or any of them existing in the wild.

And it's too bad, because Primarina has a decent design, but she belongs in some children's cartoon as the Queen of Mermaidopolis, not in a pokeball.


Overall: 3/10

4 comments:

  1. You're going to despise this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it over the excessive edgy spikes and bands of gen 4, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously:.. I think you might be right. Love my Wallace like a pillow, but Icant see myself riding on him with surf (especially now that HM are banned) It would be sooo akward....

    ReplyDelete