Thursday, December 15, 2016

No. 739: Crabrawler

I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

I'm a fan of crab Pokemon, and Crabrawler brings me closer to that dream of an all-crustacean time. It breaks the mold and isn't Water-type either, which is good and fine. If we can have Fire turtles and Ground crocodiles, I think it's okay to have Fighting crabs. I like how it uses its claws as blunt instruments to punch things instead of grip them, that's a new take. And the hair looks like a yankee's pompadour.

Not sure I like the half-closed eye, though - I understand it's meant to look like a beat-up boxer, but is Crabrawler just thrashed at all times? It can't go through a day without getting into a fight and having a big ol' shiner opened up on his head? That's kind of hardcore.

But let me take another opportunity to talk about what could've been:

An artist's rendering of a potential Gen-1 Crabrawler. It's not perfect, and I think the point here isn't that the design concept is wrong, but rather it looks simplistic, as if constructed out of basic primaries in Maya. The end result is a Pokemon that look plastic, manufactured, and fake.

Crabrawler still rocks, but I dunno you guys. This is the last alt-art I have, so I'll probably stop bringing it up, but now that it's in my head I can't stop seeing a lot of these new Pokemon as smoothed-out, toy versions of real Pokemon.


Overall: 8/10

5 comments:

  1. That shit looks like a chinese kingler knockoff, come on. Crabrawler has so much more personality

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure on the first sentence you meant "an all-crustacean team". Anyway, I'm not really sure about this "over-simplify" complaint of yours. All gens did simple designs once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crabrawler is legitimately one of my favorite Pokemon this gen.

    Too bad his evolution is absolute ugly diaper trash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The claws on the rugged version miss the point. They're supposed to look like boxing gloves, which is why they're smoothed out and a very different color from the rest of the arm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm thanks you help me in discord !

    ReplyDelete