Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lt. Surge of Vermillion City

please, imagine Guile's theme playing in your head as you read this.


Actually, this one pretty much gets it all right on the first try. Spiky yellow hair, because he uses Electric-types, muscles, cocky grin, military commando uniform, it's all here.

I don't really like this on as much, even thought its like exactly the same design. I think it's his stance, reminds me of Giovanni or something. Can't see his muscles, looks more like a crafty battle tactician than the dude who will lead the charge jumping out of helicopters. But like I said, that's all in the pose. The design itself is still good, and the lightning badge on his arm is a nice touch.

Okay, if you weren't humming Guile's theme in your head, you should probably start now. Because as George Washington is my witness, this is literally just Guile with slightly different hair. The cockiness is back, and he definitely looks a lot less formal while still being a badass who is in control, but really... I can't look at it and NOT just see Guile with a haircut.


His gym is the start of interesting gyms, though. The electric wall "puzzle" is certainly more complex than just walking past a few assholes and battling the leader. And his badge looks kickass.

I think I actually liked his gen 1 design the best, thought 3 is good, too (just copycat). But he exudes a definite persona, which is a good thing. He still isn't as flashy as some of the leaders that will come later, but simple works just as well.


Overall: 7/10

4 comments:

  1. He doesn't look so tough when you use your dugtrio to sweep his team. The Lt also looks like a contraction for light. Making his name light surge. More imaginative than his Japanese name. Every important character in red and green was named after a plant. That's why the gym badges in gen 1 all look like plants. Surge's plant is the clematis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan of your work, your blog is hilarious,but you're running out of ideas (right?), and I'm bored. I know a lot about Pokemon, and i could help, if you want, I don't agree with all your opinions, but you like Fighting Types, so, cool. If you want any help (tips, Pokemon descriptions etc.) email me at blazeican@yahoo.ca.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the offer, but I think I got this. I've got to stall until October 12th, so I'm buying time with these gym leaders.

    I realize things have been slow around here these past few months, but that's because I've got to space things out anyway. Gen 6 won't come any faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Language-Trivia from germany!
    Lt. Surge name here is Major Bob...just Major Bob.
    Because bob is a typical american name?
    *Shrugs*

    The Title(s):
    Der blitzschnelle Arenaleiter!
    [The lightningfast Gym Leader]

    Der blitzschnelle Amerikaner!
    [The lightningfast American]

    Der blitzende Amerikaner!
    [The flashing American]

    Ein Blitz am Himmel des Militärs!
    [A Flash of the military sky]

    He is for the first 4 Gens a new title.
    Two of them even include his Nationality.
    Makes you think, doesnt it?

    ReplyDelete