Thursday, June 20, 2013

Misty of Cerulean City

Now, Misty was a cute little spitfire who dressed like a less-well-endowed Tifa Lockheart in the anime, but again, none of that matters now.


Fortunately, she's still a hottie in the games. though one of her legs appears to be melded into the shadow realm. She looks like a swimmer, which makes sense, but not much of a "leader" honestly...


Notice that Misty has much more dynamic poses that convey personality than Brock? this is partially because Brock has the personality of, well, a rock, but also because Misty is clearly a energetic young lass, who at least in the games is devoid of that acidic tongue.

A few years later, and she's grown up a bit, changed her hairstyle, and in general looks a lore more... mom-ish. Still the same bright smile, though. And I like how this time around she actually looks in charge of things. For some reason swim instructors wear jackets over their swimsuits, because I guess they don't get in the water themselves? but it's working.


Misty's gym is alright, it's guys and gals in the water, what you'd expect. But as easy as she is on the eyes, she really doesn't look like one of the Top 8 Trainers in the country. She looks like a different version of the regular Swimmer trainers. Though if you see her as just a competent girl who somehow got handed control of the whole gym for some reason, she makes more sense. I don't know, I just feel bad giving Misty a bad score, but... she's really not that good.

urgh... see, here's a little secret: while I disapprove of sexualizing Pokemon, I definitely have no problem thinking the trainers themselves are babes. which makes it hard to view their designs in an objective way, you dig? anyway, I'll try to keep it on the down-low, but I'm really acting like the wolf in that Tex Avery cartoon over here. so, keep that in mind and forgive me if I'm mysteriously lenient with my scores for all the ladies.

With that said, here's where I'm putting my foot down - Misty is too generic, even if she does have a nice midriff.


Overall: 4/10

7 comments:

  1. I just realized that I prefer the G3 designs for nearly all Kanto gym leaders.

    Also, picking Bulbasaur means you just breeze through the first two gyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame I never really went for the grass starter. With squirtle and end even Charmander Brock wasn't so bad But Misty and that damned Starmie...that thing was tough xD I'm not sure if calling gym leaders the 8 strongest is entirely accurate though...maybe strongest in their area? Ain't no way brock'd be taking anyone near Cinnabar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Starmie (aka the death star)so made me regret picking charmander that I always made sure Id caught a Pikachu in viridian forest even if it took 10 hours or so, I still get chills from that bubblebeam noise in Gen 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said. Misty doesn't really scream out that she looks like a gym leader. More like a glorified swimmer. Then again, I think a good bunch of the Gen1 Gym Leaders are "Glorified Something" such as Blaine, Sabrina, Brock and eventually Koga in Gen3.

    I actually prefer Misty's Gen4 look because she shows growth as a person which is hard in a Pokemon game that only showcase these trainers in a moment in time. If Gen1/Gen3 was a picture of Misty as a fifteen/sixteen kid that got stuck with a gym then her Gen4 look is a picture of her around age eighteen as a responsible adult who may like to do some dates on the side.

    Misty always gave me trouble early game. Even with a trained Pikachu and Oddish, I had to resort to Charmeleon using Mega Punch to get me the win against her. Because of my PWT team having trouble against Water types, Misty focusing on offense almost got me on more then a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have given her a 6/10 but you are the boss.
    Otherwise..yeah, she was hard to defeat and used a strong dualtype pokemon (starmie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Language-Trivia from germany!
    Mistys name stays the same, but I think cuz its such a good name.

    Her Title(s):
    Die gruselige Arenaleiterin!
    [The scary Gym leader]

    Die zauberhafte Arenaleiterin!
    [The magical Gym leader]

    Die burschikose Meerjungfrau!
    [The tomboyish Mermaid]

    Die jungenhafte Meerjungfrau!
    [The boyish Mermaid]

    She has four titles in each of the first 4 gen.
    Though I wonder why the first one would fit better to a Ghost-type trainer?

    ReplyDelete