Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Alolan Exeggutor

long pokemon is long

I think it's been established now that when it comes to humor, Gamefreak and I aren't often on the same page. For my part, while I can appreciate a silly design or pun, that wears thin very quickly when I have to constantly send it out into battle. A joke depends on the initial shock, and seeing Alolan Exeggutor's Manute Bol-lookin' ass over and over doesn't make it any funnier.

The boy is tall. That's it, that's the joke. Everybody laugh, now! Remember to keep laughing! No, we didn't think through the design any more than that! He looks as out of place among all the other Pokemon as one vertical video among a bunch of proper horizontal ones. (side note: what sort of deranged sociopath shoots vertical videos, anyway? Human eyes are arranged side-by-side, not one on top of the other. When I see someone do a pan around their backyard with their phone held vertically, instead of simply turning that phone 90 degrees and getting the entire scene they wanted in the shot at once, I want to strangle some one. Anyway.)

Oh, and he's also got a tail with another head on it, because why the hell not. Dragon-type, too. Do you see anything draconic about this walking wooden Burj Khalifa? I don't. But I guess it's another little joke, like Mega Ampharos. Oh, the fun we have~

I mean, I have to admit I enjoyed all the jokes and memes people made about it when it was released, so it was good in that way. But I honestly don't like the proportions - I'm aware of what actual palm trees look like, I lived on Hawai'i, but I think regular Exeggutor does a fine job of abstracting that concept down into a fun monster design. This Tall & Slim Edition wasn't needed at all.

 

3 comments:

  1. I think they give it the dragon type because the long neck make it kinda resemble a chinese dragon if one is very high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hate vertical videos. I hate this ridiculous thing too, I can't take it seriously. Alolan forms were a mistake...

    ReplyDelete