Thursday, September 28, 2017

Alolan Marowak

Like any good luau, they save the fire dancer for the end.

Okay, I'll be upfront about it - it's super dumb that you have to wait until the Move Tutor to learn Shadow Bone, Alolan Marowak's signature move and only Physical Ghost STAB move. It's also kinda limited for Fire moves, too - you'll be using Flame Charge until the endgame, because by the time you reach that Move Tutor to remember Flame Wheel, you'll probably be able to learn Flare Blitz anyway. Or I guess Flamethrower, but why wouldn't you make use of Alolan Marowak's gnarly Physical Attack? Assuming you're holding Bone Club, of course.

Anyway, suffice to say, Gamefreak did not plan things out very well. They screwed up with Abra and Kadabra, too - Kadabra is supposed to learn Confusion when it reaches level 16 (that is to say, right after evolving from Abra at level 16), but instead they made it learn Kinesis instead, a thoroughly useless move, and Kadabra is stuck with no offensive moves at all until Psybeam. Alolan Marowak I think fell through the cracks in a similar manner - it really should've just learned Shadow Bone upon evolution.

With that nasty business aside, I can talk about how much I gosh darn love this Pokemon. I've always wanted Cubone and Marowak to have some sort of Ghost moves, since they wear skulls and throw bones and all. And a fire dancer is thematically appropriate for the Hawaiian region. Combine the two and you've got a Pokemon that is not only right up my alley, it's signed, sealed, and delivered straight to my doorstep.

Oh, not to mention the ghost-flames, which actually look great animated! And then the lil' bone print on his back, like he's wearing one of those skeleton pajama suits! There's nothing about Alolan Marowak's design that I don't love.

So here's the quandary - can I in good faith give this little badass, this Polynesian Prometheus, this graveyard Maui, a perfect score? Even though it's a pain to get him the moves he needs to really come into his own? Hell the frick yeah, I can. This is my blog, I answer to no one. Alolan Marowak rocks.


Overall:  7/10 -> 10/10

2 comments:

  1. I just want to let you know that one of the first patches to Sun and Moon made it so that when Abra did evolve into Kadabra, it would learn both Kinesis and Confusion, meaning that it was a glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what about the vanilla Marowak score?

    ReplyDelete