Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Pokemon Gen 8 Starters revealed

Pokemon's coming home.



So they revealed Pokemon Sword & Shield today, and you can turn to more reputable sites for the juicy details. I'm just here to give my first thoughts on the new starters.

Grookey looks like a rascal, we've had a grass monkey before (twice if you count lemurs as monkeys) and I loved it, so here's hoping he evolves into something cool!

Scorbunny looks like an Olympic mascot, or something. He's a footballer hooligan, and will probably be yet another Fire/Fighter. But that's because it's a combo that works, so.

Sobble is the surprised Pikachu meme. He's got personality, at least. We've had water amphibians before, but I like salamanders, so I'm excited to see what he turns into.

You might notice that my take on all of these is basically "I wonder what the final evolution will be", and that's because I care about those a LOT more than the base forms! None of these look offensively bad to me, though they all look like Fakemon. But of course, I've thought that about every new generation since 5, so hey.


Which one would you pick?

5 comments:

  1. Scorbunny would look a lot better without that square on its forehead imo. I can't decide if I like Grookey or Sobble more, but overall they're pretty decent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sobble is a chameleon, you can see it turning invisible in the trailer, and also from the tail and arms. It's the best water starter since mudkip for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you're right. The other language names more clearly reference chameleons, too. That makes me even more excited for it!

      Delete
  3. So, speaking of news... how 'bout dat Detective Pikachu movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designs are... fine. Realistic Pokemon is a braindead aesthetic decision, but I guess they didn't make things too ugly or grimdark.

      mainly, I'm tired of having to slather everything with a thick coat of irony to make it acceptable to enjoy. I don't want to watch a 2009 Newgrounds Pokemon Parody with a multi-million dollar Hollywood budget. Sincerity is under-rated.

      I get the sense that everybody involved in the production thinks Pokemon is the stupidest thing ever, and I don't like that.

      Maybe this sounds hypocritical, coming from a blogger whose bread-and-butter is mocking Pokemon and pretending to take them too seriously, but I'm just a damn comedy/design blog. This is the first MAJOR Pokemon film in American cinemas since 2003, and it's a take-the-piss comedy? that's insulting.

      Maybe the movie itself will have a strong emotional core, and sure the jokes are kinda funny, but what's been presented so far is something I don't want to watch.

      Delete