Thursday, June 18, 2020

No. 839: Coalossal

I fought this guy in Banjo-Tooie

I guess we're done being a speedy wheel, or crazy kart, and it's time to go Full Rhydon. Look, it is what it is. I don't get it either. The last two were kinda dumb, but in a fun way that could be building to something really cool. But Coalossal is... not that.

I mean, for a hunka hunka burnin' kaiju, he's not bad. Beefy boy with a badass head, I love to see the return of the oldschool angry-eyes, and that glowing furnace of a mouth is wonderful. But you know what still scuttles the whole design?


That Marge Simpson hair pile of embers on his head. It's silly enough that Carkol doesn't lose his entire shit when he zips around, but Coalossal is so much more vertical, and walks with the grace of a washing machine. No WAY that coal stack would remain in a perfect pyramid, or wobble around like a tower of jelly.

Honestly, the artwork tones it down a lot and makes it more reasonable. But the in-game model is just... preposterous. Unbalances the design in an awful way.


Overall: 4/10

7 comments:

  1. Like you said, if they wanted to make a pile of coals, the mon should be a lot more horizontal. They had some cool ideias if this family but they blundered i badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of these in my playthrough and loved him like a child. He stuck with me and burned motherfuckers to a crisp and that uas wonderful. But I had to be blind to love him.

    I think the dumbest part about this design is how aerodynamic his face is, stuck to his brick wall body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.: also the random knex stick on his shoulder.

      Delete
  3. Hey, have you ever considered doing something like search engine optimisation for your blog? I'm not sure how that would work, but what I do know is it's really hard to find you through a search engine. Even when I literally search for "not all pokemon are equal", I don't get you as a result. Which sucks, because you make really good content and nobody's seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange, I used to show up pretty easily. I bet the dexit controversy generated a bunch of "not all pokemon are returning" articles that are clogging up the search, but honestly I don't know how to appear more relevantly if it's not gonna show me even when you search the literal blog title.

      Delete
  4. I use Google and It shows up for me. Even searching NAPACE works, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most logic way for Coalossal would have been to make it look like a steam train, i guess. Though I can't think of a design that would make it not look like Thomas the Tank Engine

    ReplyDelete