Monday, November 28, 2016

Pokemon Moon First Thoughts vol. 5

-Before going further, I took this time to make sure I had everybody I wanted from the routes:
Mr. Bear the Stufful
Hukilau the Comfey
Dr. Zaius the Oranguru
Pikaboo the Mimikyu
Gradius the Minior
Gelato the Sandygast
Humu the Bruxish
(plus some obligatory older-gen Pokes, but whatever)

-But after cruising through the trials until now, I got stomped by Mimikyu. I knew it would absorb the first attack, but then I tried to sleep it, missed the first time, and when I hit it immediately ate its berry and recovered. Also I didn't realize it was part Fairy. Re-ordered my party, and had Papaya Pluck that bitch first thing, and it was fairly simple after that.

-Then I got humbled again, fighting one of the Route Boss trainers I'd skipped over. I let Ledian set up both kinds of screen, so when Pinsir came out I couldn't KO him before he Swords Danced twice, and then he went Brick Broke Back Mountain on my ass. For the rematch I just got rid of Ledian in a hurry, so I still had an available avenue of attack to defeat Pinsir.

-After that, the real blow to my pride came. The Route Boss up on that mountain only had one Absol, and it Night Slashed my team to death like it was straight outta some 80's horror flick. No strategy, just too stronk. But, I realized a lot of my team was right around level 30, just a few shy of evolving. Grudgingly I turned EXP share back on for a bit, and evolved 'em all. Easily won the rematch, especially with Pikaboo taking point.

-Can we just say how absolutely amazing Mimikyu is? Tanking the first hit, of any kind, is SO damn good. Some times I use it to Swords Dance, sometimes I just use it for a free attack, it lets me switch in with impunity, and then the darn thing has the speed and attack to still make a difference, and the defense to stick around afterwards, too. I'll be singing this thing's praises very highly in a few weeks, or months, or whenever it comes up.

-Team Skull is amazing. Po Town was amazing. Guzma and Plumeria are amazing. I love everything about these boneheads.

-The story is actually maybe kinda good? Is that possible? I care about the characters, and it surprised me with some bits, more than I can say for any other Pokemon game, which tend to be as by-the-numbers as possible. Still not finished, but I'm invested and want to know what happens next. This is a first for me.

-Got to Poni Island, the Kaua'i analog... and the map is showing it's basically a wasteland without civilization. Big ol' dustbin where Kapa'a should be. Ever heard of Mt. Waialeale? Rainiest spot in the world? Or that Kaua'i is known as the Garden Island? Yet you decide to make it the desert level of the game. Fucking thanks, Gamefreak.

-but seriously, Lillie is adorable and I'm even starting to come around on Hau and I want to play more but I've been so busy with other junk

2 comments:

  1. You and I are at exactly the same place in the story right now -- you know, we should really battle~

    I agree with everything by the way. I too am being humbled by this game, and I too am finding the story shockingly not-abso-terrible.

    Also I dig how you seem to be using/switching out a variety of different Pokemon. At least I assume you are, considering your big ole' cast of guys up there. I've had a ton of fun swapping out and trying all my favorites of the new guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! I am behind!
    My current team in the Po Town Mansion:
    Wallace:♂: Lv45 (Primarina)
    Mandy:♀: Lv45 (Charjabug)
    Fuzzy:♀: Lv45 (Lycanrock)
    Frubbi:♀: Lv48 (Tsareena) (in game trade)
    Baley:♀: Lv45 (Alola-Marowak)
    Pixy:♀: Lv46 (Alola-Ninetales) (through GTS no less)

    Might switch my Pixy in for a dragon, since my Primarina covers the same bases as her, along with a Z-Crystal. Wanted to have dragon anyway, but I am very weak against steel and posisons at the moment

    ReplyDelete