Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wednesday Ramble

I said I'd run out of content for this pretty quick, didn't I?

well, let's talk about Pokemon Stadium. One of my favorite games on the N64, and the sequel was even better. My biggest regret in life was selling it to buy Colosseum instead. (have I told this story before?) And that's not to say Colosseum was bad, but it was just not what I wanted at all. And the Battle Revolution follow-up on the Wii wasn't what I wanted either.

See, for me the allure of the Stadium games (aside from the best mini-game collection around, that's right Mario Party eat your heart our) was the fact that you could just rent teams. You could build a stupidly overpowered team, or a wacky one, or just try out some Pokemon you never got the chance to properly catch and raise in the mainline games. But instead, Gamefreak thought that I wanted to just import my main-game team into the console and battle with that.

and yeah that's cool I guess, but I've had enough of those bastards in their own game. Let me experiment. I'd like a Stadium 3 that basically works like Showdown - pick any Pokemon, any nature, any moves, any held item, any IVs, the works. And then battle against CPUs in a loose "arcade mode" setting, against local players, or online. That's what I want, and clearly there's a market for it. Competitive Pokemon is already a (very minor) eSport, but with the proper support it could blow up.

Not that I would be into that aspect of it personally, I'd just have fun making teams with my favs from different regions and battling the CPUs. Which would be a nice challenge as long as they gave them decent teams and AI. Which they should also put in the main games, but that's another story.

2 comments:

  1. Never played any of those home console games... I hope a good one comes out on Switch.

    Also don't forget you also have to do the new Lycanrock form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stadium is great, but Colosseum will always be my favorite home console Pokemon game. I've never played XD, but I hear it's even better.

    ReplyDelete