Tuesday, May 1, 2018

No. 806: Blacephalon

who's this clown?

I think I talked about clowns before, when I covered Piedmon in my Digi-tober event. Basically, I said that I tend to like Japan's take on the platonic ideal of "clown", since they wrap it up with harlequins and jesters and other fun stuff, instead of murder and hip-hop like America inexplicably does.

So does Blacephalon continue that trend? He's certainly not murderous or hip-hoppy. He throws his head around and it explodes, which is always fun. Reminds me of those guys from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, at the Festival of Fools. I'm not sure about the way it's rendered though - nothing else in the game escapes the hard outline, even fire and other effects are rendered with their own colored hard edge. So that's just weird, and not in an UB sort of way, more like a "did you accidentally delete the wrong layer before you saved the image?" sort of way.

Blacephalon is weird, and that's okay. His knees look like they should snap, and that head is irritating, but the concept is pretty good.


Ultra Grade: B-

1 comment:

  1. So... is Gen 7 summary next? I always fear that you think you've done everything you have to ;)

    ReplyDelete