Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Wednesday Ramble

So it's leaky season, and the latest buzz is that the new games will be called Pokemon: Let's Go! Pikachu & Let's Go! Eevee. They'll somehow take cues from Pokemon GO, and will be a return to Kanto.

or so the rumor goes. There were logos that appeared, but one was confirmed fake. But then Emily Rogers confirmed the Pokemon GO stuff. And then people noticed all the Eevee-related merchandise push since last year. And also somebody registered those domains, from the same shell company that Nintendo used to register Sun and Moon before announcing them a few years ago.

So.

Personally, setting aside any question of legitimacy, this could be good? I'm down with a return to Kanto, provided:

  1. It's a fully 3D world, far removed from the grid limitations, with a moveable camera and verticality to the world.
  2. The plot isn't literally the same as before, don't run me through the same exact gyms in the same exact order and same exact Team Rocket-based plot points.
  3. Other generation Pokemon are available in the post-game, or through other means.

#1 is something I hope to see in any case, I'll be very disappointed if it's basically the same as Sun & Moon environmentally. But if we can't get #2, then I'll be pissed because what was the damn point. And if we don't get #3, that will be insulting. I love the Kanto region and generation, but I don't want it at the expense of everything else that's come since.

What else would I be hoping to see in the Switch game, which may or may not be in Kanto, and may or may not be revealed at E3 or sooner?

  • well-optimized (no frame rate issues, which is ridiculous that I even have to ask)
  • quality-of-life improvements to the UI design and obfuscated RPG elements
  • you know how the online was handled in X&Y? yeah do that again, idiots
  • bring back the Poke Ride system instead of HMs, but let you use your own Pokes if possible
  • skippable tutorial. I'm not 6, I don't need my hand held.
  • better story/characters, I know you don't have to try but it would be nice if you did
  • keep the battle system the same actually, don't screw around with real-time crap
  • random encounters are also okay! don't rock the boat TOO hard!
  • New Game + that lets me reset my progress and start over, while keeping my PC boxes
  • Pokemon run up and actually hit each other, like in that one Stadium game?
  • even more trainer customization, I had a lot of fun playing dress up last few games
  • Pikachu says "fuck" in this one
  • BRING BACK FOLLOWING POKEMON YOU COWARDS


what about you guys? do you believe the leak? would you want a second round of Kanto remakes anyway? what are your hopes for the inevitable next game?


1 comment:

  1. Well, looks like none of your three hopes for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee came true. Unless you count Alola forms as 7th gen.

    ReplyDelete