Thursday, August 20, 2020

No. 848: Toxel

 baby boy. baby.

Look, I'll be upfront - Toxel and its evolution are my favorite Pokemon in Galar, hands-down. I really wasn't excited for the game, cuz most of the revealed Pokemon were underwhelming, then I saw these little psychopaths in the leaks and I fell in love. So you'll have to forgive me if I sound biased here, but actually it's my freakin' blog so you'll have to ask for my forgiveness if you disagree.

Anyway, Toxel is great because he's just a weirdo electric baby monster. Vaguely reptilian, but mostly an ambiguous monster that you rarely see in Pokemon anymore. Plus, he's Electric/Poison, which is a fresh and radical combination.

I'm on record for vociferous dislike of "baby Pokemon" but I'm okay with this literal baby because he's not a babified version of an existing concept. He's designed like this from the start, and he's perfect in every way. That white electric soul fire on his forehead, like Black Bolt or Tsuna Sawada, is the icing on the cake.


Overall: 10/10

3 comments:

  1. Baby Pokémon are mostly badly designed (let's all forget baby Ponyta and baby Growlithe) but my biggest pet peeve is that until recent games they couldn't be encountered in the wild and that many of them need a special item to pop from the egg. It would be better if no requeriments were needed or if GF want to maintain continuity they could make the parents know a specific move just like for cross-gen evolutions.

    Anyway I feel that Toxel e Toxtricity are just a hodgepodge of concepts and designs that in the end works really really well and they are ones of my favorites this gen too. The only things that ping them as poison are their color purple, vaguely reptilian appearance and being punk. Even the relationship between Toxel and Toxtricity is just baby monster go into adult monster but the strength of their design makes this work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also hate to say this, but you skipped a number. Toxel is #848.

    ReplyDelete