Friday, March 8, 2013

No. 620: Mienshao

Has anyone ever been to one of those Chinese operas?


I see them advertised all the time, and maybe they're better than regular operas, which are usually just fat people singing in Italian for extended periods of time. The plot moves slowly when it isn't staying completely still, and in some occasions even seems to move backwards. A Chinese opera would have more kung-fu in it, though. And I can definitely deal with extended periods of kung-fu as the plot stagnates, that's pretty much every Tony Jaa movie ever.

I bring up this topic because Mienshao looks like its from one such production. The long flowing sleeves and pastel colors, with a coy glance to the side. but on the body of a nondescript Dr. Suess-looking mammal. Which is to say, ridiculous and ostentatious.

actually, you know what it really looks like? the love interest in the hypothetical next Kung Fu Panda movie. Looks Dreamworks as shit. A fair enough design for such a character, but as a Pokemon I feel we've gone out of control. I wanted to see a master monk, not a prissy dancing courtesan.


Overall: 3/10

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for ice age 11 when they use old DNA strands to clone all the main characters, bringing them into the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I just can't NOT correct you here - Tony Jaa is Muay Thai, no Kung Fu to see there :D (Juvar on AP!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, believe me, I know. His stuff is actually more Muay Boran in some movies, but for the sake of writing-words-for-the-internet, any time an Asian person does martial arts, it is Kung Fu.

      Delete
  3. I have to disagree with this. It's nice and pretty refreshing to see a graceful and elegant Fighting Pokemon like Mienshao for once when most of them are buff and macho. It's a kung-fu weasel that despite its appearance, kicks major butt.

    ReplyDelete