Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No. 632: Durant

Up next, it's Durant Durant's hit single, "Hungry Like The Mightyena"!


Okay but listen, ants are hard core. They will chew you up, eat your eyeballs, crawl down the inside of your throat, and generally ruin your goddamn life. You don't mess with ants. I mean, sure, pick on a lone straggler here or there, but know that pound-for-pound an ant would thrash your ass so hard. And if you had to fight your own weight in ants? frigging forget about it. One hundred and sixty pounds of ants is something like 256 million ants. That is, in scientific terms, a lot of ants.

So, as you can guess, I come to Durant expecting a swarm of fear, or to be scared shitless, or something. And honestly, Durant kinda delivers. It's a lot bigger than a regular ant, but it certainly looks meaner. Those jaws are not friendly "nice to meet you" jaws, those are nasty "how about I eat your entire leg" jaws. And the way it looks like it has metal plates bolted to it works really well, it makes it look like a clockwork automaton. And its Speed, Defense, and Attack stats aren't bad, either.

I also appreciate how, being Steel/Bug, it gets stomped on by Heatmor, which is its natural predator. In most cases, when two separate Pokemon are related, they're meant to be counterparts to each other. In this case, the relationship is most definitely not equal.


Overall: 8/10

6 comments:

  1. They learn dig when they level up and are much faster than Heatmor.They are also a colony of humungous ants that greatly outnumber Heatmor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how freaking scary it looks. Its pincers remind me of a bear trap, its eyes are red and glaring, and the metal plates are great. I think this is the first cool bug type I've seen in a while.
    Overall I love the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. step 1. take an animal (insect/ant in this case)
    step 2. change it up (make it metallic)
    step 3. add something badass (eyes of malice and a menacing jaw)

    yep, good pokemon indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kinda surprised you only gave it an 8. Especially with the witty comparison to Heatmor. Usually these kind of descriptions accompany 10's, if not a 9.5.
    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drn, I stp reading at the overhead text that is so clever that I need tpo score it:

    20/10

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Bite my shiny metal abdomen."

    ReplyDelete