Sunday, June 5, 2011

No. 218: Slugma

A lot of people think this is a Gen 3 Pokemon, for some reason.

See, I always picked Typhlosion, so I never had much use for another fire type. But Slugma is alright. I used one in the disappointing Pokemon Coliseum, and it was pretty good.

Again, I'll say it: the 3 steps to a great Pokemon design.

1. Take a base (slug)
2. Make is different (jowl things and horns)
3. Add something awesome (entire body is made out of bubbling lava)

see? great stuff. also, I liked the Heat Path in Sapphire, where you could also find Slugma. Fire types seem to be thrown in randomly in most games, because there's hardly ever any "volcano" area, but there was one of those in the third generation.

Overall: 8/10

3 comments:

  1. Since I didn't play the original 2nd gen games, and Slugma was so common in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, I was totally sure it was a 3rd gen Pokémon. Same for Skarmory and Natu/Xatu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointing? I loved Coliseum! At the very least, it was far, far, far superior to Pokémon Stadium. Now that game, while fairly fun, was a true disappointment. A Pokémon game that takes out the best part of Pokémon (actually raising and training your Pokémon) and gives us a stripped down battles only game? Yeah, it's pretty fun, but I'll take Coliseum any day, no questions.

    Anyway, Slugma is cool as hell. A lava slug, made from actual lava? Yeah, I think the whole line is underrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coliseum disappointed me by not letting me just pick a team and go fight.

      I already have many mainline pokemon games where I go on a story and raise my pokemon, and Stadium was a fun way to just try out different teams, be they OP or jokey.

      Delete