Thursday, June 30, 2011

No. 237: Hitmontop

We've been over the Hitmonlee/Bruce Lee-Hitmonchan/Jackie Chan thing, right?

So then this nutsack comes in to ruin the pattern. Who the hell is "top"? Johnny Top? Is that a person? No. no it is not.

I get that it is upside down top spinning fighting dude, and that's cool and all. I actually really like that. But I don't see why it has to be a -hitmon.

and if you asked me, I'd pick Tony Jaa as the next one. Hitmonjaa. He knees and elbows you. Can't be beat. If you haven't seen Ong Bak or The Protector, you should see them. and their sequels.

So, I like the idea, but not that he's shoehorned into in evolutionary line he doesn't belong in.

Overall: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. Here I am again with useless Name trivia from germany!

    Today we have the Hitmon-family.
    You might know that Hitmonchan- and -lee are named differently in Germany.
    So their Nature is of course different:
    Tyrogue= Rabauz
    Comes from the german Name Rabauke which can also mean Rogue fitting to ty-Rogue
    I heard it might als connect to Mike TYson)

    Hitmonchan= Nockchan
    Knocking someone out like Jackie Chan
    (I also want to note that I almost never saw a Jackie Chan movie in which he actually attacked fullpower. Jackie was always in the defense and punched ass, which is fiutting for Tyrouge to have a strong Defense)

    Hitmonlee= Kicklee
    Combined the Kick with Mr. Bruce Lee
    (who was known as the strongest and also connects to the evolution with a higher attack)

    Hitmontop= Kapoera
    Comes from the Fightingstyle Capoeira
    (here I dont have any idea, maybe because Capoeira fighters are also kicking while on their heads? Dunno why the Atk=Def has to apply honestly)

    Atleast you know that Kapoera sounds better than Hitmontop

    ReplyDelete