Wednesday, September 7, 2011

No. 267: Beautifly

did I mention we were in the middle of rehash city?

so remember Butterfree? For all the drama about it and Venonat, it wasn't that bad. Not great, but not bad. If it tried, Beautifly could really differentiate itself from the big bug, and really improve on the "butterfly" idea.

So what does it do? Big honking proboscis. Caterpie eyes. The wings are different colors, and remind me of stained glass. Oh, and the feet aren't as long. Other than that, not much has changed.

I know, it sounds like a lot. But when you really look at it, the silhouette is still much the same. And a great character design has an immediately identifiable silhouette. They could've really changed the antenna, and the shape of the wings, but they didn't. It doesn't look intelligent, either. Butterfree at least looked very emotive.

I expected to come in here hating on Beautifly, but instead I find myself merely dissapointed. Butterfree left a lot of room for improvement as far as butterfly Pokemon go, but Beautifly dropped the ball.

Overall: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment