Sunday, August 5, 2012

No. 489: Phione

wait hold up here. shouldn't Manaphy be next? Isn't that our cute-lil-fairy legendary for this gen? What the piss is Phione!?


After doing some research (read: skimming the bulbapedia page), it turns out Phione is the prevolution of Manaphy. Except, it can't evolve. Into Manaphy. It's just there. Oh, and also this means Manaphy is like the only legendary that can breed, and it produces a stunted offspring. Who can in turn breed into more Phione.

This is mind-boggling to me. Why on earth would anyone make this into a thing? Manaphy is simply better in every way. And Phinone isn't even that good. It's just a pure Water type. It looks like Manaphy's second cousin. Why does this exist? Who thought this would be a good idea? Were they so desperate to fill space they resorted to making Chinese knock-off versions of their own Pokemon!?

I mean, shit. What's the point? Manaphy is already there. Why not just make Manaphy able to breed? Also, has there ever been any explanation for this phenomenon? In the movie centered around Manaphy, Phione didn't make an appearance. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but that's about all I can do. I'm just wracking my brain, trying to deduce what the fuck is going on here, but I'm drawing blanks.

I don't know if I can even give this one a score. Are you sure it really exists? Is this all just a giant prank? I think my mind is refusing to believe something this freaking enormously stupid and redundant could even be.


Overall: nope/10

1 comment:

  1. Before I say anything else, I have to point out that overall I think Phione is dumb, but there is a semi-interesting reason for it's existence.

    To get Manaphy you had to send over a Manaphy egg from Pokemon Ranger to D/P. Gamefreak's logic (which always relies on you not knowing about the internet) was that the few people with Ranger would get their Manaphy, breed a bunch of Phione, trade them to friends, and then people who get them being all "WOH WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?! OH SNAP I HAVE TO GET THIS POKEMON RANGER GAME AND GET MY OWN MANAPHY!".

    So basically, Phione exists to advertise Pokemon Ranger. It's a kinda interesting mechanic, but I think it would have been better if it was done differently, somehow. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete