Wednesday, August 8, 2012

No. 492: Shaymin

Ch-ch-ch-chia! Chia! Chia-pet!


This is a brilliant idea for a Pokemon. A hedgehog, with a literal hedge on its back. That flower on the side adds a vaguely tropical flavor. It's cute, and I like the colors. In that one movie Shaymin may be an utter bitch, the Queen Bitch from Bitch-topia, but how can you stay mad at something so damn cuuuute?

Wait

what?

This is a legendary Pokemon? Huh?

That - that doesn't make a lick of sense. Oh, it also has an additional form? Well, let's check that out, maybe it'll be more "legendary" -


eh, still not really doing it for me. Now it's a little dog that flies around with its ears and wears a scarf, which is also incredibly precious, but still not really giving me the "legendary" vibe. I know it has the stats, but not the look.

It just seems wrong to have cute, simple-looking Pokemon like Shaymin (and to an extent, Manaphy) in the same Legendary class as the masters of time, space, anti-matter, and the Lord of All Creation. Why so many legendaries, Sinnoh? It's not like you didn't need some extra filler to populate your routes...

I'm going to give Shaymin a good score, because I really like it, but I want to make my displeasure at its legendary status clear.


Overall: 8/10

3 comments:

  1. It may be a little underpowered compared to the creation trio and GOD, but I guess comparing any legendaries with the 4th gen will make them look like little shits. I mean, how do you compare something that has controls time, space and goddamn anti-matter to anything really, I guess that's why the lake trio and these four would have been enough, they pretty much cover all of the major aspects of being; Dialga, Palkia and Giratina govern the the biggest laws of the universe, Arceus is god, and the lake guardians are responsible for knowledge, emotion and willpower, while Shaymin can do this nifty thing with aborbing all pollution and transforming it into huge amounts of flowers, pretty powerful and deserving of legendary status, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are multiple shaymins in the anime. I need to ask this, is the anime separate from the movies? The population of shaymins only appeared in the anime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaymin's sky forme reminds me of Klonoa. Because of the ears.

    ReplyDelete