Tuesday, July 19, 2011

2nd Gen Summary

Well, that's 251 Pokemon in the hole, 3 generations and over 400 more to go.

The Gold/Silver games have a reputation as the best games, from a lot of people. And the remakes even more so. But are they right? In terms of overall rating, the 2nd gen averaged 5.8/10. This is less than the 6.2 of the first gen, but not by much. Putting them together, the 251 Pokemon in the Gold and Silver games give you a solid 6/10 average. Which is above average, but nowhere near phenomenal.

I think these first two generations get a lot of nostalgia-fueled overrating. They contain some real gems, like Scizor and Raikou, but also the single worst Pokemon of all time, Dunsparce. And the proliferation of babies taking up space also hurt matters.

The addition of dark and steel types is great, but ghost and dragon remain woefully neglected. and if you want to talk about the original GBC games, they are trash. Don't bother. There is no point, beyond pure nostalgia, to play them instead of the remakes. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are objectively better games, I dare anyone to argue me on this.

Top 10, worst 5, and some other filler things coming up, and we should hit the 3rd gen next week.

2 comments:

  1. I like to play games. And Pokemon games are just amazing. I have bought some games and gifted to my younger brother. He is a true fan of Pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you are right.
    +I dunno what the hype of GenI is anymore. I can understand GenII and löove Crystal but my Favourite Gen is III and I guess we will soon see more (or I will since many have seen more already)

    ReplyDelete