Friday, December 30, 2011

No. 351: Castform

I tried to use a Castform as my Ice-type in my first run on the Elite Four in Sapphire. I would have to waste a turn using Hail first, then bust out my moves. It worked about as well as you'd expect.

Now, Castform changes with the weather. It has a Water-type form for Rain Dance, a Fire-type form for Sunny Day, and an Ice-type form for Hail.
 
None of the looks are really special, but I guess I like Sunny the most.

One thing bothers me though: Why is basic Castform Normal, instead of Flying? I mean, it's all about weather and shit. Shouldn't it be able to use STAB Razor Wind and stuff? And shouldn't all the forms be Flying/Whatever?

I don't understand why we had to wait until Gen 5 to get a pure Flying type, instead of always pairing it with something, usually the hated Normal/Flying double-suck combination. Those make some sort of sense, since they are really just frigging normal birds who also fly, but Castform isn't normal at all. It's a cloud being, I thought. Strange choice.

Anyway, the gimmick shows off the new weather system nicely, and works well enough. Like most gimmick Pokemon, it won't ever be very strong or useful, but it can be kind of fun. I sometimes wonder what a Sandstorm-style Castform would be like. Does that stack with weather, or is it treated as a weather condition on its own? If it does count, Sandy Castform would obviously be Ground, and would look like a dust devil or something. Just ready and waiting to screw some Oklahoma farmer's crops.


Overall: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment