Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No. 369: Relicanth

Catching a Coelacanth in Animal Crossing is pure happiness.

Catching one in Pokemon is pure tedium. You need one to open something for the three Regis, but I don't really remember what, and I imagine I'll look it up once we get to the three in question.

But I digress. Relicanth looks old, which makes sense. The red dot breaks up the monotony of color, which works. There's nothing to really complain about, except that its boring. It's an old-ass boring grandpa fish.

I mean, I know it's supposed to be an old-ass boring grandpa fish, but that doesn't make me want to catch one. Maybe they knew the only way anyone would want to devote a Pokeball to this senile geezer is if they made it mandatory if you want those sweet legendaries.

One interesting takeaway, though, is that its typing is Water/Rock, just like all the fossils. The fossils' Rock-type I thought came from some residue of being fossilized, but since Relicanth is just ancient, not brought to life from a hunk of stone, I must conclude that Pokemon used to all be Rock-types in ancient times. Huh.


Overall: 4/10

3 comments:

  1. If you think about this guy and his purpose, the design becomes better. Relicanth looks like an old treasure map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, you're blowing my mind over here. Seriously help me pick this shit up, because that's an awesome way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the Rock sub-type: it makes sense that the Rock-type would be attached to ancient Pokémon, since the first Pokémon ever created, Rhydon, also has a Rock sub-type.

    ReplyDelete