Sunday, May 20, 2012

No. 442: Spiritomb

Thanks, doc.


When I was in 2nd grade, I had to draw a Gastly from memory or something. I drew a big scribbly ball of gas, with a jack-o-lantern face in the middle. I think Gamefreak must have raided the recycling bins during recess, because I think I totally drew the concept art for Spiritomb way back then, and they stole it.

It makes sense, because this design could only have been invented by a 2nd grader. It's a messy swirl of ghost flame, with a silly face and a swirly eyeball, coming out of a stone. It looks kinda dumb. And I know there's all this junk about "108 spirits formed to make this ghost bound to a stone blah blah 108 temptations" but as you may know by now, the Japanese say a lot of bullshit, and only half of it makes any sort of sense. How can one Pokemon be 108 ghosts? Are each of those a Pokemon? Are they that ghost you fought in Lavender Tower?

Spiritomb has the distinction of not having any weaknesses, and unlike Sableye, isn't complete trash. So there's that. But that frigging face, man. I can't take something serious if it has one eyeball with a spiral in it, like a cartoonish villain from some Nickelodeon show. That's some King K. Rool-level shit right there.


Overall: 4/10

5 comments:

  1. even though this is my 2nd favorite pokemon of all time, your decision is justifiable. Also those souls are human. However the souls could be yamasks. The reason this guy is my favorite is several factors. 1-he comes from hell, 2-he can wield all of the classical elements, 3-its existence opens up the possibility for a pokemon battle with Satan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Spiritomb, but this is one of those weird situations where while I love it, ranking it I would only give it a 6-8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd give it a 7. If 5 is the average then 7 is perfect for him. This guy as a Pokemon, with his story, just... works. The only thing that's keeping me from giving it an 8 or 9 is a really bad design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta give him credit for being unique and his design isn't sooo bad. I'd give him a 6.
    On the other hand, i'd never use him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5/10 for me. Goofy design, but excellent type combination.
    Hopefully we will get another one of these in the next gen, or maybe some more creative yet unseen types, like ghost/psychic or fire/grass, something like that.

    ReplyDelete