Thursday, December 6, 2012

No. 563: Cofagrigus

in Japanese its name is Deathcan which is pretty nice you have to admit


you guys this guy is just so freaking awesome I don't even know if I can properly convey it

I mean, it's a goddamn sarcophagus with four ghostly hands. And the centerpiece of it opens and closes to reveal this evil face, that's somewhat reminiscent of how Tangela, Shellder, and old-school Jynx have "hidden" faces. Also note Yamask's mask just chilling there. nice touch. the colors are even great, that gold-and-blue instantly says "hey dipstick I'm Egyptian if you don't like it then suck a camel".

you see, it's a Ghost-type (which I like) that specializes in Defense (which is unusual) and it learns some neat move combinations. Hex is a welcome addition to the Ghost Pokemon moveset, but combined with Will-o-Wisp and Cofagrigus' high potential to turtle, it becomes great. Or even better, Toxic and use Protect to buy some extra turns.

The name itself is a little clunky, I'll admit, but there are just so many shit-slapping nicknames you can give this guy with an Egyptian theme. Anubis, Osiris, Ramses, King Tut, The Tutster, ur mummy, Mumm-ra, Tutty K., Luxor, Tha Big Tut, Ankha, Tuttin n Struttin, Cairo, Tut Tut it looks like Rain, Slimeball McCoy, DIO, The Giffer, and Courtney.

Okay, half of those were just increasingly silly names for King Tutankhamen, but you get my point. Cofafrigus gets 4 ghostly thumbs up.


Overall: 10/10

3 comments:

  1. While I generally love the 5th gens, I have to admit the names got a bit too confusing. This one and Reuniclus in particular, which I still struggle to say aloud even after having heard them.

    I now have the urge to come up with a whole Jojo team based around having one of these named Dio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's cool, but like carnivine I kind of get this dragon quest vibe. Maybe I should make a list of what pokemon resemble other forms of gaming media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that the idea for the mechanic of catching Pokemon was based on one of the Dragon Quest games in which you could get enemies to join your team?

      Delete