Sunday, December 16, 2012

No. 569: Garbodor

Garbodor - name brought to you by the geniuses behind "Conkeldurr"


On one hand, living trash monsters, a horrifying lesson in toxic waste come to life, like Hedorah, are inherently frightening and serve to teach us a lesson about how we treat the planet and all our refuse. On the other hand, Garbodor is just fucking awful.

I'll admit that the name isn't as random as it first sounds, it's a combination of garbage and odor. But I can't admit that the color scheme is anything but queasy, or that the large amounts of shit and dirt make me curl my lips in distaste.

It's an ugly Pokemon, and I know it was created to be so. The arms are misshapen and asymmetrical on purpose, I get that. Actually, the design wouldn't be so bad if it was a Digimon or JRPG enemy. But in no way does it look like a Pokemon. I have never liked the idea that these Poison-types are actual pollution brought to life, and I especially don't like it being as obvious as this. I prefer my Pokemon to NOT look like a reject from the TMNT actions figure line, thank you very much.

Garbledarble here can piss up a rope, and what the hell are those pink and blue things anyway.


Overall: 1/10

11 comments:

  1. It's a pokemon that actually helps the enviroment by picking up trash using psychic powers. It also resembles a rat. It completes the trio of waste by being solid waste (those pink and blue things are candy wrappers and other packaging)to counter the liquid and gas waste pokemon families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking at it that way makes this guy interesting...but the damage is already seeped deep into my mind

      Delete
  2. One of the creepiest motherfuckers in the franchise.
    Seriously, It looks like it's in pain, which makes completely sense, since it's a walking pile of garbage and toxins.
    Just horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Nooooooooope. I freaking love Trubbish/Garbodor. I don't get why they get so much hate.

    "They are trash, that's so lame."
    "They are magnets, that's so lame."
    "They are rocks, that's so lame."
    "They are sarcophagi, that's so lame."
    "They are *insert animal here* that's so lame."

    Why is it trash (and ice cream, my body is ready for three 1's in a row) where people draw the line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thought the sarcophagus was cool. He gave it a 10/10. He also gave the rock monster gigalith a 10/10

      Delete
    2. He was saying people in general. And I can't help but agree with him. He's not terrible, and at least 5x more inspired than a few of the other crap Pokemon.

      Delete
    3. If I say this one's alright, can I still hate the crap outta the ice cream one? I dislike that one soooooo much more.

      Delete
  4. "He thought the sarcophagus was cool. He gave it a 10/10. He also gave the rock monster gigalith a 10/10" (Can't reply to replies I guess.)

    My point was not that that's what people say, but how anyone could say anything about any Pokemon. Why is trash where the line is drawn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't draw the line at trash, or ice cream, or anything. I don't think there's a fundamental idea "too stupid" to be turned into a Pokemon.

      But when the execution of that idea results in conflicting colors, intense asymmetry, and general non-coolness, I think I have every right to call it out.

      the anon below me has it right, I'd certainly mercy kill any Garbodor I found.

      Delete
  5. For me it's not even the fact that its made of garbage, it's just truly horrifying, the eyes and mouth in combination to what is makes me feel really uncomfortable.
    All I hear when I like at is: "Kiiiiill meeeee, make the paaaaaain stop."
    And why shouldn't it, it's a piece of garbage, being a Garbodor just has to be painful and unholy.
    It literally looks like a Pokemon that was changed to endure eternal damnation.
    If Nintendo ever introduces a Pokemon which represents Satan (like how Arceus is god), I'm sure that he was responsible for Garbodor.
    The whole Pokemon universe should just do Garbador a favor and just deliver the coup de grĂ¢ce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, I think he's kinda cute. In a weird Eldritch abomination sort of way.

    ReplyDelete