Monday, January 7, 2013

No. 582: Vanillite

I can already feel the comments section writhing.


See, I like Vanillite. I know it's become the poster child of the Why Gen 5 is the Worst arguments, being "just a goddamn freaking ice cream cone with eyes jesus hell", but I don't see it that way.

I think it's adorable and delicious. It looks just as "natural" as Snorunt or Rotom, which is to say not very, but it doesn't matter. And it looks more "alive" than Bronzor or Baltoy, more animated and possessing intelligence and possibly sapience. Maybe these aren't exactly the best Pokemon to compare to, but my point is that Vanillite isn't some strange anomaly of a Pokemon. Voltorb was literally just a Pokeball with eyes.

I'm not saying it's wonderful, but I'm saying it's a solid Pokemon. The thing that redeems it is how icy it looks. Just take a peep at that frosty puffs, you know this shit is freezing. the "cone" is ice, it has ice chunks in it, and the overall coloration of white and blue suggests snow rather than vanilla ice cream. Also tiny arms. It's more than just and ice cream cone with eyes.


Also since before the 3rd Gen came out I had made up my own ice cream Pokemon, except it evolved into a snowman sitting in an ice cream cone base. so I'll admit Vanillite was a sort of dream come true.


Overall: 7/10

5 comments:

  1. its not so much vanillite, but how braindead the evolution goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. It's me again. THAT anon. And I just have to say... I'm so very sorry for assuming you would hate this line. But you can't blame me, you said it yourself that they get the most hate out of any 5th gen Pokemon. Though I still don't know what you're going to say about the evolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each to their own I suppose, I see your point about Voltorb and the like which is true, for me personally I guess its because the pokemon is literally food, I dont think theyd be happy seeing some other pokemon or person munching a castelia cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it isn't food, though. it's a bunch of snow wrapped about a icy core, not a frozen dairy product in a waffle cone. that's my point, is that you AREN'T supposed to eat vanillites.

      Delete
  4. You might laugh but I like it too and every of its evolution.
    It was a genius idea and the artist/designer of it was actually a NON-JAPANESE.

    I really think it fits in the region of Unova

    ReplyDelete