Monday, April 16, 2012

No. 416: Vespiquen

she's got one well of a wasp waist, I'll tell ya that.

There's already a "bee" Pokemon in Beedrill, but I think Combee and Vespiquen take the concept in different and interesting directions, playing off of the honeycomb concept, and the "queen bee" idea.

Vespiquen can only be obtained if your Combee is a female, which makes sense, because male bees are just lazy assholes; the females are the ones who do all the work. And as it was pointed out to me, female Combee are marked with that red triangle, which then becomes the red jewel crest on Vespiquen's head. So, I guess it does have a purpose, and works to bring out her eyes.

Also, Vespiquen has like three unique attacks, where she orders her swarm to heal her, defend her, or swarm the enemy. I like it, that's awesome, and it's a pity no other Bugs get to use some of the moves.


Overall: 9/10

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree. Til the last generation, Vespiquen truly is the most creative bug pokemon. While some do look cooler, I really love the design of her skirt with the hexagon pattern, seems just right, add 3(!)unique moves and you got yourself a really good pokemon (although flying/bug makes her almost useless in real battle...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I played Pearl, I fucking hated Aaron's Vespiquen and her Heal Order. It was such a pain in the ass I had to teach my Palkia Heal Block to stop her from regenerating constantly.

    ReplyDelete