Monday, October 28, 2013

No. 658: Greninja

there might be more badass frogs than this one, but I don't think I know of any

He's a ninja frog, which is apparently a thing in Japan. toads/frogs get associated with Ninjas. I don't know, maybe it's something in the sake.

But anyway, Greninja has dat ninja scarf, but it's his tongue. This is so insane and disgusting and creative and I love it. The back of his head starts to look like a hand, which is kinda weird, but okay. Big thighs reinforce the ninja design, like those poofy pants ninjas are all the time be wearing. and his special attack is water shurikens.

So I think Greninja is cool, but I'm wondering if we couldn't have set more of a precedent for the tongue. Now that I think of it, this is the first "frog" Pokemon whose design has actually emphasized the tongue. and Frogadier certainly could've added that into the mix, seeing as how he didn't add anything else.

I really like the design and idea, and I appreciate how things are still pretty low-key except for the head which is a little busy, but otherwise super-neat. I just wish that his awesome tonguescarf didn't come outta nowhere.


Overall: 8/10

5 comments:

  1. It's hidden ability is also fucking amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't like how this completely got rid of the bubbles. Froakie and Frogadier were even the Bubble Frog Pokemon, so it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogs only have bubbles when they're young, for protection. It makes sense for it to drop the bubbles.

      Delete
    2. Still it would be better with some kind of bubble hood instead of that weird Arwing thing it has going on. At least the body shape is the same, unlike Chesnaught.

      Delete
  3. I think the head wouldn't look as weird if it didn't have that Play-Doh sky blue color. If the "webs" were the same color as his elbows and knees I think he'd be perfect.

    ReplyDelete