Saturday, October 28, 2017

Favorite Digimon #4 - Omnimon

aka Garurugreymon

You might have guessed by now that I'm not that big a fan of the armored knight/mecha looking Digimon. Which is a shame, because that style comprises most of the Mega tier. I don't necessarily dislike it, it's just rarely interesting to me. The huge feet and gangly limbs, usually so charming, look awkward in armor.

But Omnimon (or Omegamon, as some people insist on using the Japanese name) is so cool that the rest are just superfluous. A large part of his appeal comes from the movie - it was almost scary to see MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon, two of the strongest Digimon around, getting manhandled. So when they fused into this awesome white knight, it was surprising and glorious.

I like it when fusions retain entire chunks of the participants, so using the heads as hands is a neat twist. It's cool that he has a sword and arm cannon, means he can lay the smack down up close or from long-range, a true two-way threat.

Omnimon remains, for me, the height of what a "strongest Digimon ever" should look like. This is the Vegito of Digimon, anything beyond this is stupid and dumb and not what I grew up with so I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment