Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Favorite Digimon #7 - Kabuterimon

I'm just saying, Weevil Underwood had a point. Bugs are cool.

So here's a little linguistics lesson - samurai helmets are called kabuto in Japanese, and rhinocerous beetles are named after them, called kabuto-mushi. Hence why Kabuterimon has that cool helmet. I love how it looks organic, though - and that crazy gross mouth hanging out below, no eyes - he's a scary dude. But he's a good guy! Digimon is great like that.

But the other most popular beetle is the stag beetle, or kuwagata-mushi. Hence, Kuwagamon! The bugs are often depicted as rivals, so in Digimon they have a nice contrasting blue-red color scheme going. I kinda like how Kuwagamon is depicted as this huge asshole who likes to ruin everyone's day, and low-level peeps just have to run from him. It's like the Beedrill swarms in the early episodes of Pokemon.

But I like Kabuterimon more, probably just because he had more screen time as a proper member of the cast, but they're both cool. Oh, if only there was a Digimon that merged the awesome design traits of both!!! (I hope I'm not showing my hand too much here, but that prayer will be answered)


P.S. Boomer Kuwanger in Mega Man X is named after a kuwagata beetle as well, punned-up with "boomerang". For the longest time I had no clue wtf his name was, since everyone else is just a basic English word.

1 comment:

  1. HerculesKabuterimon has 3 horns, both the central one and the pincers. He's a good mix of both, I think.

    ReplyDelete