Saturday, March 3, 2012

No. 382: Kyogre

I used to pronounce it "ky-roge", because why the hell would a sea beast have "ogre" in its name.

So, confession time. You know how I earlier shat all over people who use legendaries? well...

When I was a young lad, on my very first play through of Sapphire, this is what my team to beat the Elite 4 was: Torkoal (for fire), Hariyama (for fighting), Sableye (for dark), Shedinja (because wonder guard yeah), Castform (for ice), and Kyogre (for water).

Now, aside from using unevolved forms, I don't think it's possible to make a team more ill-suited to actually getting anything frigging done. And my levels were all averaging 40. Hell, Castform was only 35, because grinding is tough, and I just wanted to get it over with.

As you might guess, it ended up being the Kyogre Power Hour, taking out 80% of the Elite 4's Pokemon with Ice Beam and Surf. By the time I beat it, Kyogre had gotten to level 60, while the rest of my team shriveled on the vine. ugh, it's a painful memory.


Anyway, Kyogre. Despite being sort of like a legendary killer whale sea beast, it somehow manages to end up lame. At least with its mouth closed. I think its the hand/wing/flippers, why does it have those? Shouldn't it be more streamlined? It isn't really horrible, just kind of underwhelming.


Overall: 4/10

4 comments:

  1. I pronounce it as "Kai-oh-gray"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really disagree with the last 3. I've never liked Lati@s and have always thought they were lazy designs, where I like Kyogre (and Groudon) though I don't really love them either. 3rd gen was pretty weak for legendaries now that I think about it... Rayquaza is the only one that's really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I thought I was the only one who pronounced it Ky-roge. It wasn't until my second time through Emerald (this time on an Emulator) that I realized it was Ky-ogre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason i thought it was "Kyorg" at first

    ReplyDelete