Friday, July 20, 2012

No. 475: Gallade

Shoutouts to all the male Gardevoir from Hoenn who grew up in a region that wasn't so heteronormative.


I support making a male and female evolutionary split, but I think Gallade is a bad example. To start off with, he's got one giant arm and one normal one. That's some Digimon-level asymmetry right there. You're not even a fiddler crab, Gallade. Why is one arm so damn big.

The next thing I notice is his hips, which make him look like he's trying to pass a kidney stone the side of a football. Or maybe he just has donut hips, like the titular character in the Amazing World of Gumball. In either case, it's lame and dumb.

Finally, his head crest. Seems cool in theory, but why's it blue? And a shade of blue so similar to the green? Should've been red, like the crests in Kirlia's hair. And then the chest spike would've been optional. Someone sent me a picture of Gallade with normal person hips, both elbows spiked, and something different with his crest that I don't quite recall, and it looks much improved. Almost badass, I'd say. The pants look kinda like those pants samurai wear, something could be made of those.

But in the state he's in now, Gallade is an awkward abomination, the kind of Pokemon that tries to look cool but trips over his own mutant elbow because of his deformed hips.


Overall: 2/10

5 comments:

  1. I never noticed that crest was even blue..... Now that I see it, where did that color come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the person who sent in the sprite, I should note that the arms were already like that. I also need to point out that I have sent you the other redone sprites again in a different format. If you could please respond to those, that would be great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably one of the first i've disagreed with you on, seeing how I love this evolution. I can give you one on the blue Crest being random but the rest not so much. He doesn't have just one giant arm, he can just extend both his arms into blades like that, the picture only has it with one. I never had a problem with his hops shaped like that either, because I wasn't expecting normalcy with a pokemon, and they just never bothered me. I rambled on, but the point is your opinion is equal, but different than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. summed up my feelings exactly

      Delete
  4. His arms arn't actually like that. he can extend his elbows like a blade.

    ReplyDelete