Tuesday, July 17, 2012

No. 472: Gliscor

Bleh! Bleh!!


Gligar is crazy, and I still think he should've been Poison/Flying instead of Ground/Flying, but whatever. Gliscor here could be Poison/Dark and I wouldn't bat an eye, but he retains the increasingly improbable typing.

Anyway, the first thing that hits me is how they changed the magenta and navy blue color scheme for purple, black, and red. The red is especially off-putting. I'm also not a fan of the claw-tail, because despite Gamefreak's love of the appendage, I prefer regular nasty looking hooked stingers. The rest of Gliscor is a pretty natural evolution, I guess, bigger claws, ears, etc, but I can't help but feel that it all seems unnecessary.

Wasn't cute lil' Gligar enough? Were people really clambering for a follow-up? This is the question I ask most of the Afterthough 18, but for some reason it sticks out especially at Gliscor. It's probably the fact that he doesn't add anything conceptually new into the mix, and messes with the color scheme when there was no need.


Overall: 5/10

4 comments:

  1. Also has spike nipples. I think they may have made the evolution that colour as a nod to the fact that the actual scorpion pokemon line was introduced into the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gliscor, to me, just looks like they tried to make a dracula-gligar.

    I would use it, personally, if only they'd make it at least Dark/Flying. But no. Instead we get the INSANITY of Ground/Flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash's Gliscor was great, a vital part of the team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somebody call Simon Belmont! Am I right?

    But in all seriousness, Gliscor kicks ass.

    ReplyDelete