Saturday, July 7, 2012

No. 466: Electivire

Doesn't Electivire's head look a little bit like a flying saucer, too?


At first Electabuzz was just a cool one-stage Pokemon. Then he got a prevo in the form of Elekid, and now he gets a final evolution with Electivire. I think this is one of the few members of the Afterthought 18 that really needed to happen, you know? There aren't very many 3-stage Electric Pokemon, so the big alien ape is welcome in that regard.

But let's talk design. Bands everywhere, random dots of color, but you know what? Electabuzz has always had stripes, no no foul there. The thing that gets me is those twin tails with the red tips. I think they're supposed to be wires, but I don't like them. I also think the electrical plug design on his back is stupid. Like, do Elekid plug into there? That's messed up.

Electabuzz has always reminded me of a gorilla with tiger stripes and a tail, so I'm a little sad to see the tail gone in favor of the more bizarre tentacle wire things with LEDs on the tip. When people say "all these new Pokemon look like aliens" and I look at Electivire, I see what they mean.

so, a fairly good Pokemon that deserves to exist, with a few strange bits against him. In the last quarter of the 4th gen, that's actually pretty damn good.


Overall: 8/10

5 comments:

  1. It's also insanely strong, probably the strongest pure electric type (ignoring legendaries).
    Dude kicks ass, going to try to get him and Magmortar for my first play-through in Black & White 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the guy who asked for your email address in the rhyperior post and I haven't gotten a response yet. If you could please respond, that would be nice. Also, I would like to see how you tackle one of my least favourite designs of a pokemon ever in the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the part where he did actually reply to you, check the Rhyperior comments again. On topic, Electivire, cool guy. Probably one of my favorite electric evolutionary lines these three, and he wasn't a horrible next step. Fair rating, I think.

      Delete
    2. Not in email

      Delete
    3. My mistake then pal, I thought you'd missed his reply back there. ^^

      Delete