Saturday, July 14, 2012

No. 470: Leafeon

Let's get this straight: "Leafeon" is a really, really uncreative name for a pokemon.


I mean, it's almost as bad as some of the later Digimon, where they would literally just write a one-sentence summary of the monster, and then add the suffix "-mon". see: DarkMetalWarGreymon, RedSkullMeramon, etc. Because couldn't they come up with a better word that relates to the Grass-type, and flows with the ___eon style better? Herbeon? Bulbeon? Cloveon (clover-themed)? Thorneon (rose-themed)? I admit that none of these names really fit the design, and a new one would have to be created, but...

maybe that's kind of the point? Leafeon looks like they were really reaching for eeveelutions at this point. They just have a generic mammal body, with ears turning into leaves, and a leaf tail. Oh, and green whatevers sprouting off. It's pretty lame, compared to any of the other Eevee designs, and I wonder why it even had to happen. Wasn't a full team of 6 Eevees (one of each evolution and the normal one) enough? Now it's impossible to have all the Eeveelutions on a single team.

Oh, to digress: it bugs me a bit that the starter trio is Grass-Water(or sometimes ice)-Fire, and that's a common trio. Yet Electric-Fire-Water is also a major trio (original Eeveelutions, legendary birds, legendary dogs, tri attack, etc). There's a lot of overlap there, isn't there? Do they really both need to be established things? What about making more established trios? I don't even know if I'm complaining about anything here, I'm just saying random things. I think my point is that no one can say "Well they had to to a Grass eeveelution, they had a Fire and Water one" because there's no precedent for that sort of thing really.

um, returning to point - Leafeon is just so awfully generic and straight-from-someone's-deviantart, yet I think it could've worked, if only they actually went in a direction with it instead of just boringness.


Overall: 4/10

5 comments:

  1. I think you're being a tad harsh on the 4th gen guys. You complain when a pokemon is too over the top, but then you complain when something straight-forward like leafeon is up. Granted "Leafeon" is a rather un-creative name, it's still a decent pokemon. Don't get me wrong, I love your entries, I think you are plain and simple a comedic genius. Just getting a tad repetitive with your hating on the 4th gen fellas. Whatever the case, keep on truckin' with these entries, I can't get on a routine of writing for comedy in pokemon which ends up displeasing my fans. You are dedicated and really funny. I just wanted to post that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ What they said.

    To add on, while I agree on the name, Leafeon is my favorite Eeveelution (and Glaceon is my 2nd so I'm curious what you're going to say there).

    The original 3 are good, but feel stiff to me. The 2nd gen ones are just bland and the worst to me. The 4th gen ones are simple but creative, detailed but not over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eevolutions tend to have good designs, and leafeon in not an exception. granted, it's not one of my fave eevee evolutions (those would be vaporeon, jolteon and espeon), but i don't see why it deserves such a low score.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, i like all the Eeveelutions, but I may be a bit biased towards the 4th Gen ones just because I love the Grass, Ice and Water types.

    I do agree that Leafeon is an uninspired name, but at least they've stuck to their guns and designed a Leaf-based Eeveelution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sighs and cuddles it*

    I know you are uninspiring and way to easy to get in Platinum.
    And I am not even sure your stats are worth it but DAMN!

    I love you!
    Even your boring design that lacks the collar of fluff that every eeveelotion has besides you and your brother Glaceon.

    (you are probably right but he is one of my faves)

    ReplyDelete